Make traditional blackberry - Individual fruit jam tarts
Sweet blackberry jam tarts instantly bring back childhood memories, and summers spent in your grandmother's kitchen or holidays in the south of France. These indulgent desserts take it to an extra level though, with crumbly, buttery shortcrust pastry and a delicious 100% pure fruit spread filling.
Enjoy these on their own, fresh from the oven with a pot of tea – or for an even more indulgent treat, serve for dessert with a scoop of gorgeous, creamy mascarpone cheese.
Variations: try this recipe with different fillings - strawberry jam or peach and apricot - serve with fresh fruit
Recipe - Ingredients
- 175g all-purpose flour
- 150g caster sugar
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon fresh double cream
- 2 whole jars of organic blackberry fruit jam (220g x 2)
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Begin to add cold butter to the mixture, either by hand or using a food processor.
- Combine egg yolk and double cream, slowly adding the mixture to the dough.
- Wrap the dough in cling film or a damp cloth, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or more.
- To assemble the tarts, remove the dough and let it settle at room temperature for 10-15 minutes. Roll out the dough into a large circle, at least 12” wide in diameter.
- Use individual tart tins to cut tart rounds, leaving at least 1” extra than the size of the tin. Gently press the pastry dough into the tins to flatten, and trim away any excess. Leave tins to cool in the fridge for 30 minutes or so.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Remove tins, and spoon blackberry jam into each tart, filling up to ¾ of the way from the top.
- Bake tarts for 25 mins, or until the filling begins to bubble lightly, and the crust turns golden.
- Remove and allow to cool completely, before serving. Perfect as a dessert dressed up with cream, cheese or ice-cream.
Did you know?
- Cultivated blackberries are a known superfood. They have significant amounts of dietary fibre (5 grams per 100g), vitamin C (25% of RDA), and vitamin K.
- Blackberries grow wild throughout most Europe. And are a favourite pastime to pick growing wild in the summer - despite the fact that the plants are still deemed to be weeds.
- Blackberry fruits are bright red before they ripen, meaning that they are actually red when they are 'green'.
- Did you know fruit spread is a 100% pure fruit jam - and typically does not contain any added cane sugar. As a result, not only are fruits spreads healthier, but they also often more flavoursome tasting of freshly picked regionally collected fruit flavours that are not overly sweet.
Please leave us a comment
You may have guessed, we LOVE (are obsessed) with fine foods and all things gourmet; other than sleeping and running a small artisan business, this is about all we do! We really appreciate you taking the time to read our blog today. Please leave your feedback and tell us which organic food recipes, health tips or gifts ideas you like to hear more about...
Also in our Find your perfect recipe
Sweet, flaky and delicious, these traditional Moroccan pastries are best enjoyed with a refreshing cup of hot organic mint tea
. Take a journey and get ready for afternoon tea in Marrakesh. Baklava comes in all kinds of variations with an array of different fillings – but one thing that unites them all is the light, breathtakingly flaky texture of the pastry...
This nutty, sticky tart makes a lovely, indulgent dessert – with earthy, fruity flavours, the delicious crunch of nuts and a deep, luxurious hint of sticky treacle and dark chocolate
. This fantastic concoction of flavours combines to make an instantly crowd-pleasing end to any meal!
Try these firm, crisp Italian biscotti are the perfect choice of treats to accompany your daily Italian espresso
or cappuccino. Twice baked to give them their characteristic crunchy, firm texture, these are best enjoyed when dipped into your coffee to soften up into a tender, melt in the mouth delight.
100% Money Back Satisfaction Guarantee
We stand by every product we sell, and continually strive to bring you the best fine foods and experiences shopping with us! If you're not entirely satisfied with any goods you've purchased from us, we will gladly refund your original order (less shipping charges), or we will send you another replacement product FREE of charge.
Seán Farrell – Founder, Chateau Rouge